sOmewhere: nOwhere | human.tree | pink.tangerine | poet.blood | pétite.étoile | manzana.marina

Engage


I love technology, I'm one of those geeks who obsess about their computers, their cellphones, their iPods... OK! Not geek geek that I actually know programming or the names of chips and codecs. However, I praise myself for being a decent techie, at least customizing my stuff to my own liking and needs.

In spite of my love for gadgets and my continuous amazement for what man can create... My more intellectual self often dwells on the changes to our way of life. While being away wouldn't be bearable without e-mails, webcams, skype, or this place, what happens if this becomes all that there is? And I questioned that because even if those technologies are useful and often times, plainly amazing, I still miss touch... human touch. That close contact that only comes with face to face interaction, with sensorial experiences beyond what a camera (even though I love them), a screen, a mic and a speaker can give us. Humans are meant to interact.

Anyways... Los Angeles es una ciudad donde esa interacción es particularmente inexistente o imperceptible. El individualismo americano llega a su punto máximo, al punto de la indiferencia. Cada quien en su mundo, cada quien en su coche en el freeway, cada quien en su barrio de la enorme metrópoli. Y entonces no hay interacción, no hay diálogo, no hay comunidad y no hay identidad.

Sobre eso es mi clase con Fabián, para la cual tenemos un sitio web que les quiero compartir y que a partir de ahora estará en la sección de links. Estamos explorando las concepciones del espacio, la naturaleza de esta ciudad y de la tecnología. Buscando potencializar las posibilidades para crear un sentido de pertenencia y compromiso público. Todo para crear un parque histórico. Bueno, son muchas cosas, el proyecto es muy ambicioso y apenas estamos empezando.

Si pueden visitenlo para que se den una idea en Engaging Media

Y la galería de fotos tomadas por los celulares Nokia está en Visual Gallery, si sólo quieren ver las mías busquen "Diego" en la barra de búsquedas.

4 anonymous notes:

At February 07, 2007 9:48 AM *~PinkTangerine~* said...

I dont really know what to say, in fact, lately I dont really know waht to say about anything.. but!! technology is a bitch, it gives this huge feeling of being connected while we are all absolutly far away and at the same time it leaves millions out...and how about when we are far but close in physical space? thats even worse..Fun pics =)

 
At February 09, 2007 6:19 PM humantree said...

We should do that in GD, y ligarlo con LA y Fabián... I'm in!
Como muchas cosas la tecnología es un arma con distintos filos, tan maravillosa como incluyente y exclusiva, algunas veces me emociona, otras me cansa.

 
At February 14, 2007 9:03 AM Anonymous said...

Cool pics! Who would have though a couple of years ago that such pictures could be taken with a cellphone. Gee I feel old!

 
At February 18, 2007 10:24 PM une pétite étoile said...

MIIIIIIIIIEEEEDO.. tecnología grita.. no es bonita.. pero tu si.. te amo baby...

 

Post a Comment